The purpose of tuition assistance is to further the mission of First Lutheran School as a ministry of First Lutheran Church by providing tuition assistance to families in need.
The cost of educating a child at First Lutheran School for the 2015-2016 school year is calculated to be $6,800 per child. This figure is only true if we were to have 100 students enrolled, with each student paying full tuition. If we have less than 100 students enrolled and if we have any families paying less than the full tuition rate, this figure goes up considerably.
As a prospective family for the new school year, you will know by looking at our standard tuition rates that there is no family paying the full cost of $6,800 per child. First Lutheran School depends on the generous members of First Lutheran Church to make up the difference in what our families pay, and what we actually need, to make our limited budget.
One other way we are able to offer discounted tuition rates to qualifying families is through our Annual Fund. Each year, our school hosts two large fundraisers, our golf tournament and our dinner/auction, to help raise money for the Annual Fund. We also have some very generous donors who make donations every year to help fund this account. When we offer discounted tuition rates to our school families, the difference in what the tuition would be and what it actually is, is made up by drawing money out of the Annual Fund. We cannot take out more money than we have, so we are limited in the amount of discounts we are able to provide.
In order to make a more educated decision when granting tuition assistance, we need some very important information from you. We will not be able to start making a decision until your file is complete, and this information is part of the application process.
Families who wish to be considered for a tuition assistance award must:
- Complete an online application at www.cfslogin.com. CFA (Confidential Financial Analysis) is a third-party organization that analyzes the financial information provided by the family and provides a report with a recommendation called a “FACT score.” Our school number is 25330.
- Provide a copy of their 2016 Federal Tax Return
- Provide 4 current payroll checks stubs
- Provide a short written summary or explanation of your circumstances that give you reason to request tuition assistance.
- Provide us with the amount of tuition that you feel you can afford.
When a committee looks at only numbers, it is sometimes hard to see the “whole picture.” Having this information available from you helps to clear up any misunderstanding. Before determining the amount of tuition you believe your family can afford, please consider asking family members if they might want to help with cost. Some grandparents help with tuition as a Christmas gift every year.
- All families receiving tuition assistance are required to enroll in the Simply Giving EFT program. All families are welcome to choose the eleven month payment option in order to reduce the monthly amount of their tuition payment.
- Any family with past due balances (tuition, childcare or band) WILL NOT be considered for tuition assistance for the upcoming school year until all accounts are paid in full.
- Applications are due no later than May 1st of the prior school year (ex. 5/1/15 for the 2015-16 school year) for re-applying families or within 15 days after registration for new families. Late applications may not be accepted.
- Tuition assistance will be awarded on a first-come-first-served basis at the discretion of the Board of Christian Education based on information provided. No recipient family will receive a 100% tuition discount; a minimum tuition will be assessed regardless of the FACT score. Families may submit a written request for review within 30 days of notification of their tuition assistance.
- Tuition assistance is subject to review at any time as warranted by a family’s changing financial circumstances.
- Families receiving tuition assistance are required to support First Lutheran School through participation in qualifying service activities. Adult family members may choose which qualifying service activities to perform, but must provide a minimum of ten (10) service hours per school semester, for a minimum of twenty (20) service hours per school year. Qualifying service activities include: school sponsored service/cleanup days, the annual fundraiser banquet, active participation in PALS-sponsored events, classroom support activities, or other activities agreed upon with the FLS Principal.
- Records of service hours will be kept in the school office. Families are responsible for informing the school office regarding hours completed and for making sure their record is accurate and complete. Families deficient in service hours at the end of a semester may not be considered for tuition assistance for the following semester.
Thank you for considering First Lutheran School, and for providing a complete application, including the above requested information, so our committee is able to make the decision that is best for your family, and for our Church and School as well.
If you have any questions, please contact the school office at (479)452-5330 or email Sonja Guillory at firstname.lastname@example.org.
First Lutheran School Board of Christian Education
Tuition Assistance Committee